Holiday Health Hazards

Holidays like July 4th, Christmas and Valentine’s Day can be as much fun for pets as it is for humans if dangerous foods, flowers and plants and other unhealthy items are kept out of your Chihuahua's reach. Each year poison control experts see a rise in cases around major holidays, many involving chocolate and lilies, a flower that’s potentially fatal to cats. So please heed the experts’ advice—don’t leave the goodies lying around during your holiday festivities.

Pet Safe Bouquets

If your pet is suffering from symptoms such as stomach upset, vomiting or diarrhea, he may have ingested an offending flower or plant. View ASPCA's online toxic and nontoxic plant libraries for a visual guides of what and what not is harmful for your Chihuahua puppy or dog.

Forbidden Chocolate

Seasoned pet lovers know the potentially life-threatening dangers of chocolates, like baker’s, semi sweet, milk and dark. The darker the chocolates, the more methylxanthine (a caffeine-like stimulants that affect gastrointestinal, neurologic and cardiac function) which can cause vomiting/diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures and an abnormally elevated heart rate. The high-fat content in lighter chocolates can potentially lead to a life-threatening inflammation of the pancreas. Go ahead and indulge, but don’t leave chocolate out for puppies and dogs to find.

Careful with Cocktails

Spilled wine, half a glass of champagne, some leftover liquor are nothing to cry over until a curious pet laps them up. Because animals are smaller than humans, a little bit of alcohol can do a lot of harm, causing vomiting, diarrhea, lack of coordination, central nervous system depression, tremors, difficulty breathing, metabolic disturbances and even coma. Potentially fatal respiratory failure can also occur if a large enough amount is ingested.

Non Sugar Sweets

So don’t let Chi near treats sweetened with xylitol. If ingested, gum, candy and other treats that include this sweetener can result in a sudden drop in blood sugar known as hypoglycemia. This can cause your pet to suffer depression, loss of coordination and seizures.

Every Rose Has Its Thorn

Don’t let pets near roses or other thorny stemmed flowers. Biting, stepping on or swallowing their sharp, woody spines can cause serious infection if a puncture occurs. “It’s all too easy for pets to step on thorns that have fallen to the ground as a flower arrangement is being created. De-thorn your roses far away from pets.

Playing with Fire

It’s nice to set your evening a-glow with candlelight, but put out the fire when you leave the room. As nosy pups or dogs can burn themselves or cause a fire by knocking over unattended candles.

If you have a dog that loves to play fetch use great caution when throwing lit fireworks. You would not want you dog chasing or retrieving an exploding firework.

Wrapping Presents

Gather up tape, ribbons, bows, wrapping paper, cellophane and balloons after presents have been opened, because if swallowed, these long, stringy and “fun-to-chew” items can get lodged in your pet’s throat or digestive tract, causing her to choke or vomit.